[Sca-cooks] Halvah marzipan or nougat?

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 10:23:15 PDT 2007

I have a conflict here. My Spanish sources say halvah is a
Hispano-Jewish type of nougat consisting of an almond-sugar paste with
**flavored with other ingredients such as rosewater, honey, julep,
clove, camphor or sesame. There are several variations using cashews,
pistachios and other nuts. David M. Gitlitz & Linda Kay Davidson in  A
Drizzle of Honey, The Lives and Recipes of Spain's Secret Jews clearly
indicate that they think it marzipan not nougat. What was halvah before
the 15th Century marzipan or turron? What distinguishes the difference
between the two - baking? Yes, I know the Spanish versions clearly have
a different taste but Gitlitz gives a Mexican recipe which sounds like
turron to me. Why am I getting bottled up on this?
Suey