[Sca-cooks] tea in Europe

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 27 22:33:32 PDT 2007

De asked:
<<< I thought there was such thing as tea in the middle ages. >>>

Depends upon your definition of "tea" and where and when you are
talking about.

Many people consider "tea" to be any liquid where leaves or herbs are
boiled in water. This is properly called an infusion.

infusions-msg     (24K)  3/26/02    Period infusions. Herbal "teas".
Barley tea.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/infusions-msg.html

Other people will use "tea" to mean cha, chai(?), which was
originally found in China. Hence the comment about when and where.
Chai was unknown in Europe until past our period.

tea-msg           (16K)  9/ 5/06    Tea, cha. When it appeared in
Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/tea-msg.html

Stefan
--------