[Sca-cooks] April Fool turned into a nughtmare

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 16:46:54 PDT 2008

I  wrote and you  wrote:
 > The night air raids over England during World War II were stopped
 > > by a
 > > special Air Force Batallion that was given enormous rations of carrots
 > > to eat so they could see in the dark. After that carrots became the
 > > second most consumed product in the world after potatoes.

A good story, but unfortunately it's not true.  Apparently the
British government didn't want the Germans to figure out that they
were using radar, so they planted this story about carrots and eyesight.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/carrots.asp

- Doc

From: "Terry Decker"  This tale was an attempt at disinformation in
WWII. In 1934, Rudolf Kuhnold demonstrated the first working radar for
the German High Command and in the following year,Robert Alexander
Watson-Watt began setting up radar test stations in England. By 1940,
Great Britain had a fully functional radar system that was used during
the Battle of Britain to good effect. To try to hide effectiveness of
the radar from the Germans, the War Office leaked the tale of carrot
eating RAF night fighters. IIRC, the Brits used the commando raid at
Dieppe in 1942 to mask an intelligence raid on a German radar
installation on the French coast trying to determine the capabilities
and weaknesses of the German radar. Bear

You guys are too smart for me. It was a joke I sent to you being the
first of April.
As matter of fact this day has been bad when I wanted to laugh. I just
sent $ to my poor non appropriated fund daughter in Mexico, Then first
message of the day is from my son asking me for $6,000 I only got 3 from
my last publication! I sent him an April Fool message hoping it was a
joke, He replied. no joke. Where can I sell my material to help my kids
finish their masters degrees? This is seriously horrible. The guy is
graduating from Wharton in May only if suddenly we can dig up some more
money!!!.
Suey