[Sca-cooks] Books on Dishes

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Wed Apr 2 12:56:26 PDT 2008

Volker Bach wrote:
>Salvete
>
>a quick question: I'm looking for good books on
>ceramics for use in serving Mediterranean cuisine
>(Arab, Italian, Spanish, Byzantine). I have Ken Dark:
>Byzantine Pottery (which is good).
>
>Now I've seen Geza Fehervari: Islamic Pottery and
>Arthur Lane: Later Islamic Pottery. Are these good?
>
>And especially - does anyone know where I can find
>more information on Italian and more generally Western
>ceramics?

Pottery (in the form of broken potsherds) happens to be one of the
most common artifacts found in almost every archeological dig. Many,
many papers have been written and many careers in the field made on
pottery. Any university library ought to be able to provide a huge
wealth of material on any of those eras and places.

In addition to that, the following bibliography was provided by
Master Hroar to the Calafian Potters Guild. I have not had an
opportunity to peruse most of these but if he recommends them, I
personally take it that they are useful and/or accurate references.

Aquamaniles Bibliography

While not strictly clay items, these books have many
images that are useful in creating clay aquamaniles

"Aquamanilien: Gebrauch und Form"
Phillip von Zabern
ISBN 3-8053-1400-0

"Aquamanile : Oggetti Medievali Per Uso  Sacro e
Profano"
Franco Maria Ricci
ISBN 88-216-0331-8

"Lions, Dragons, and Other Beasts:
Aquamaniilia of the Middle Ages, Vessels for Church
and Table"
Peter Barnet and Pete Dandridge
ISBN 0-300-11684-5

Asian Pottery  Bibilography

"Kendi"
Sumarah Adhyatman

"Kendi: Pouring Vessels in the University of Malaya
Collection"
Khoo Joo EE
Edited by Dawn F. Rooney
ISBN 0-19-588939-8

"Precious Vessels: 2000 years of Chinese Pottery"
Eldon Worrall
ISBN 0-906367-07-7

"The Ceramic Art of China"
The Victoria and Albert Museum

"Tamba Pottery; The Timeless Art of a Japanese
Village"
Daniel Rhodes
ISBN 0-87011-118-3

"Shigaraki: Potters Valley"
Louise Allison Cort
ISBN974-8304-91-4

"Hares Fur, Tortoiseshell and Partridge Feathers"
Chinese Brown and Black  Glazed  Ceraics, 400-1400"
Robert D. Mowley
ISBN 0-916724-88-3

"The Indian Blackware (First Millennium B.C.)"
Ashoka K. Mishra
ISBN 81-85268-09-06

European Pottery Bibliography

"Medieval Pottery London -type Ware"
J.E. Pearce, A.G. Vince. M.A. Jenner
ISBN 0-903290-27-8

"The Beaker Folk; Copper Age Archeology in Western
Europe"
Richard Harrison
ISBN 0-500-02098-1

British Museum Occasional Paper Number 122
"Maiolica in the North: The Archeology of Tin-Glazed
Earthenware on North-West Europe, c 1500--1600"
Proceedings of a Colloquium  Hosted by The  Department
of Medieval and Later Antiquities on March 6-7, 1997
Edited by David Gaimster
ISBN 0-86159-122-4

"Surrey Whitewares"
Jacqueline Pearce and Alan Vince
ISBN 0-903290-34-0

"Medieval Sussex Pottery"
K.J. Barton
ISBN 0-85033-333-4

"Medieval Ceramics:VI to XIII Centuries"
Jay D. Frierman

"Italian Renaissance Pottery: Papers Written in
Association with a colloquium  at the British Musem"
Edited by Timothy Wilson
ISBN 0-7141-0553-8

"Medieval Pottery From Excavations: Studies Presented
to Gerald Clough Dunning"
Edited by H. Hodges and JG Hurst
ISBN0-212-97009-7

"German Stoneware 1200-1900"
David Gaimster
ISBN 0-7141-0571-6

"Medieval Pottery from Wood Quay, Dublin; The 1974-6
Waterfront Excavations"
Clara McCutcheon
ISBN1-904890-12-1

"Steinzeug und Zinn"
Annaleise Ohm, Magrit Bauer

"Spanish Pottery 1248-1898
With a Catalogue o f the collection in the Victory and
Albert Museum""
Anthony Ray
ISBN 1-85177-291-X

"The English Country Pottery"
Peter C.D. Brears"
ISBN 0-8048-0986-0

"Three Excavations Along the Thames and its
Tributaries, 1994:
Neolithic to Saxon Settlement and Burial in the
Thames, Colne and Kennet Valleys"
Phil Andrews and Andrew Crocket
ISBN 1-874350-18-3

"A Twelfth Century Pottery Kiln at Pound Lane,
Canterbury:
Evidence for an Immigrant Pottey in the Late Norman
Period"
John Cotter
ISBN 1-870545-07-9

"Humberside Medieval Pottery; an Illustrated catalogue
of Saxon and Medieval domestic assemblages from North
Lincolnshire and the surrounding reagion"
Colin Hayfield
ISBN 0-96054-33-1

"The Secular Spirit: Life and Art in at the End of the
Middle Ages"
Metropolitan Museum of Art
ISBN 0-525-49507-X

Dragon