[Sca-cooks] Books on Dishes

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 19:25:23 PDT 2008

Giano,
What is interesting is trying to find stuff not on Majolica
from Italy.  There are plenty of good pictures of Majolica,
but not much information on the other pottery.  I'm going to
web a class I did a few years ago on simple ceramics.
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/Italian_cooking_ceramics.pdf
I also translated a section from Scappi about serving dishes it
is in the biscotti file
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/biscotti.html#The_provisioning

It is necessary that the side-board, (prepared with the towels, table-cloths,
serviettes, salts, knives, forks, & spoons of gold, & of silver,
& candlesticks of many kinds, plates, basins, and jugs of silver, &
gold, with plates, bowls, & cups of porcelain, & of maiolica, &
of other clays, for salads, fruits, and other things cold) it should be provided
with the above written things, that is every sort of candied, dried and jelly
with syrups, of sour cherries, maraschino cherries, and of quinces and quince
flavored (item) of many kinds, and with “mostaccioli” (type of biscotti)
in Naples and Roman style, and works of marzipan in many sorts, (made with)
pine nuts and pistacchio, chalices and other sugar works, and biscotti peasant
style and roman style, and of other kinds, & always wafers and small cakes.

I would suggest for the most part ILL for majolica books.  There
are plenty out there. I don't actually own any as I'm not a very
painty potter (did some Majolica once, hated it so don't have any
reference books).

Helewyse
ps I just re-organized my web page, hopefully this will make it easier to
find stuff
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse

a quick question: I'm looking for good books on
ceramics for use in serving Mediterranean cuisine
(Arab, Italian, Spanish, Byzantine). I have Ken Dark:
Byzantine Pottery (which is good).

Now I've seen Geza Fehervari: Islamic Pottery and
Arthur Lane: Later Islamic Pottery. Are these good?

And especially - does anyone know where I can find
more information on Italian and more generally Western
ceramics?

Thanks

Giano