[Sca-cooks] Pottery cleaning question

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 21:45:48 PDT 2008

> This last weekend I used an unglazed pot in a fire to cook
> chicken. The person who loaded up the pot put the chicken
> breasts in before adding the water (those of you who have
> clay-cooked know what's coming)... How the heck do I get the
> chicken tissue OFF of the interior of the pot? It's been
> three days of me soaking the thing and using my fingernail to
> scrape bits off of it. A green scrubby doesn't work. Neither
> does a spoon's edge or a brillo pad. I'm about ready to steal
> some of my husband's sandpaper except I fear it might weaken
> the pot's wall.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Oh - I've already tried using salt on it.
>

> Hrothny

Verify the following with a potter experienced in non-glazed pottery
BEFORE attempting:
Use an oven or kiln to heat the pot *slowly* until the remaining "bits"
carbonize, then cool it down equally slowly.  After completely cool,
scrub out the remaining char.

(understanding that I'm applying a principle here that I've only
previously used with cast iron skillets...)

Amra