[Sca-cooks] Favorite dessert?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 3 20:31:12 PDT 2008

On Apr 3, 2008, at 9:19 PM, S CLEMENGER wrote:
> Cailte, scotch only qualifies as engine cleaner....

I was taught when I was a wee one never to strike a lady nor the daft,
so I'll let that pass... but I'll also point out that there's a very
broad range of products known as Scotch. It's on a par with condemning
all fruit when you don't like unripe gooseberries.

> And what is "cream cake?"
> --Maire

I can't speak for this particular usage, but one possibility is to
identify it as a cake leavened with neither egg foam (i.e. sponge
cake) nor yeast, but made by starting out by creaming together butter
and sugar, then adding eggs and flour (which may or may not have
additional chemical leavening added to it). In practice, anything from
pound cake to the standard American-type yellow layer cake type
entity, or its chocolate or other-flavored counterpart.

Incidentally, while all this discussion of favorite desserts has been
going on,  I've had occasion to note that it is apparently no longer
possible to go to a bakery anywhere in the civilized world and
purchase an ordinary two-or-three-layer cream cake with buttercream
frosting made with actual butter -- you know, the old, archetypal
1950's "birthday cake", that isn't an obscene mound of fake
buttercream with a few scraps of cake hidden underneath gluey pseudo-
fruit jellies, more oily, sugary-gritty Twinkie-filling buttercream,
and gum paste that will dissolve your teeth at 30 paces. That, you can
buy, or you can buy a box of cake mix and a can of chemical frosting,
or you can make it yourself from scratch, but apparently no one feels
the return on the investment of time and money is worth it anymore.

But that, especially after having lost my Mom last autumn, is the
dessert ever over the horizon, that I have been craving: for me, it
would be a two-layer yellow cake made with about eight eggs, in my
mother's twelve-inches-across by two-inches-deep cake pans that were
really aluminum beer serving trays, with either chocolate buttercream
(eggless) or, even better, chocolate cream-cheese frosting, with
either jam or buttercream in between the layers. Traditionally served
in a horse-choking wedge that probably weighed two pounds and hung
slightly over the edges of a small dessert-plate ;-) Some people
preferred the cake itself to be chocolate, and that was good, too, but
to me it was gilding the lily.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter