[Sca-cooks] Food for a Demo

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 22:07:20 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 12:54 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

>  P.S.: 7. Medieval people had atrocious table manners, ate
> everything with their hands, belched and farted at the table, and
> threw garbage on the floor.

Well... in "The Courtier", Castiglione does describe what we moderns
would call food fights: "Many times they shoulder one another downe
the stayers, and hurle billettes and brickes, one at an others head.
They hurle handfulles of dust in mens eyes. Thei cast horse and man
into ditches, or downe on the side of some hill. Then at table,
potage, sauce, gelies, and what ever commeth to hande, into the face
it goith. And afterwarde laughe: and whoso can doe most of these
trickes, he counteth himselfe the best and galantest Courtyer, and
supposeth that he hath wonne great glorye."

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
My NEW email is rcarrollmann at gmail.com