[Sca-cooks] Hummingbird Cake, was Favorite Dessert

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 6 15:06:02 PDT 2008

Odd that the fractions didn't make it. I was NOT using automatic
fractions. I had written them out as (number-slash-number). Grrr.

So, here is the recipe again, this time written out as decimals. And
remember, i have not cooked this, so i cannot vouch for it. It just
looked potentially interesting.

Urtatim

---------------------
Ruby-throated hummingbird cake

1.5 cups Flour
3 Tb Baking Powder
1 pinch Salt
0.333 cups Sugar
0.5 cups Vegetable Oil
6 Egg Yolks
1 can (8-oz) crushed Pineapple
2 Tb Lemon Juice
6 Egg Whites
1 pinch Cream of Tartar
0.5 cup Sugar

Filling:
0.5 cup Water
1.5 Tb Cornstarch
1/3 cups Sugar
2 Tb White Rum
1 cup chopped Strawberries

Icing:
0.5 cup Butter
1 pkg (8-oz) cream cheese
1 tsp Vanilla
1 lb Confectioners' Sugar
Milk
1 medium-sized sweet Red Grapefruit
Fresh flowers (rose petals or violets)

Cake:
In a mixer or food processor sift together the
flour, baking powder, salt & sugar. Blend in oil,
egg yolk, pineapple & lemon juice & mix well. In
a separate bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar
& sugar until very stiff. Fold the cake mix into
the egg white mixture & stir until well blended.
Pour the mixture into an ungreased 10" tube pan &
bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove from oven & cool
upside down on rack. When cooled remove to
serving plate.

Filling:
Stir cornstarch into the cold water & heat gently
in saucepan until it starts to thicken. Stir in
the sugar & rum. Beat until smooth & shiny. Stir
in the chopped strawberries.

Icing:
In a food processor combine butter, cream cheese,
vanilla & confectioners' sugar. Process to a
smooth spreadable paste. Adjust the texture with
a little milk if necessary.

To assemble:
Spoon strawberry filling into the hollow center
of the cake. Spread the icing over the cake
including the sides. Decorate the top with
grapefruit sections & flowers.