[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium article for April

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 7 23:15:54 PDT 2008

Greetings to the Gentles of the SCA-Cooks list,

Here is a copy of my April Florilegium article detailing what is new
in the Florilegium this month.

I am in the middle of creating a list of desired articles for the
Florilegium and will post the list on the site. If you've tried to
find something in the Florilegium and couldn't find it or you have
some other ideas of articles you would like to see, please email me
your suggestions and I will add them to the list. If anyone is
looking for something to research, take a look at this list and see
if something looks interesting to you.

Thanks,
    Stefan
------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past seventeen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation
and class handouts will also often work out well.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the BEVERAGES section:
    barley-water-msg     Period barley water. A non-alcoholic drink.
In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
    Teetotms-Dreid-art   "Teetotums and Dreidels" by THL Dagonell
                            Collingwood of Emerald Lake.
In the FOOD-BREADS section:
    Bagels-art           "Period Bagels?" by Mairi Ceilidh.
In the PERFORMANCE-ARTS section:
    Firecrawling-art     "Fyrecrawling 101" by THL Thomas Whitehart,
                            aka True Thomas the Storyteller.

This month there are only a few new files since I've been
concentrating on updating a bunch of the older ones. Here are a few
of the updated files.
    books-food-msg       Books about food. Not cookbooks.
    breakfast-msg        What's for breakfast? SCA and period.
    cakes-msg            Period cakes and cake recipes.
    casting-msg          Casting pewter and other metals.
    birds-recipes-msg    Bird recipes. Squabs, pheasants, quail.
    chd-actvites-msg     Children's activities for SCA events.
    children-msg         Children in the SCA and period.
    chocolate-msg        History and description of early chocolate.
    desserts-msg         Medieval and SCA dessert recipes. Sweets.
    fd-Italy-msg         Period Italian food. Cookbooks.
    fd-Mongols-msg       Food of the Mongols. Recipes.
    garum-msg            Roman fish sauces made from fermented fish.
                            Also includes comments on liquamen.
    gourds-msg           Gourds, pumpkins, squash. Recipes.
    infusions-msg        Period infusions. Herbal "teas". Barley tea.
    lentils-msg          Period lentil dishes and comments on lentils
    privvies-msg         Managing privvies at SCA events.
    sugar-msg            Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
---
Copyright 2008, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas