[Sca-cooks] Flour Recommendation?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 10 10:52:59 PDT 2008

Of the Mixture of Paste.    Your course Wheat-crust should be kneaded with
hot water, or Mutton broth, and a good store of butter, and the paste made
stiffe and tough, because that Coffin must be deep.

Gervase Markham, The English Hous-wife

To make Paste another Way.   Take butter and ale, and seeth them together:
then take your flower, and put there into three egs, sugar, saffron and
salt.

The Good Huswives Handmaid

>From these the chosen fat is butter, but it is likely to be melted into the
liquor for the pastry dough.  It also suggests to me that it might be worth
trying this with a whole wheat flour that has been sifted to remove the
bran.  And, IIRC, there is a recipe for a rye pastry dough as part of a
recipe in Sabina Welser.

If your dough is soft, then you may have too much fat in the mix or you
haven't worked it hard enough to properly form the gluten.

Bear