[Sca-cooks] period cream puffs?

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Thu Apr 10 15:36:39 PDT 2008

Stefan li Rous wrote:
>Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici mentioned:
><<< 2.  Catherine's pastry chef was an Italian, Popelini.
>He created the Choux pastry recipe.>>>
>
>What is Choux pastry? or maybe more important, what makes a pastry a
>Choux pastry?

It is a specific type of pastry that is made from butter, flour, eggs
and water that has a high moisture content and puffs when it is baked
(as in for cream puffs) or fried (as in for beignets).

You make it by bringing the water and butter to a boil and then
adding all the flour at once while stirring vigorously. You then let
that cool a bit and mix in a couple of beaten eggs.

The paste is pretty fluid and you generally pipe it before baking it.
The name comes from the belief that the baked cream puffs look a bit
like a cabbage.

><<<  Cream puffs are
>period if you use some sort of sweet or savory filling
>that would be period.  (I've used Ricotta mixed with
>Honey or cinnamon and sugar or lemon curd.  All are
>really good.) >>>
>
>Oh? I don't remember anything like this being discussed here before.
>Stuffed bread, yes. But not stuffed pastry. What are you basing this
>on? Do you have a period recipe? Can you please post your redaction
>(s)? These sound like they might make a good item for a sideboard or
>breakfast.

I can't help you there.

Dragon