[Sca-cooks] period cream puffs?

Maria Buchanan scarlettmb at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 10 19:13:47 PDT 2008

They are quite good for a sideboard.

Most of my information came from a web site called
foodtimeline.org
I love the site.  It comes up with a timeline on the
front page of all the foods around the world and when
they were first eaten.  Cream puffs as they are today
were first made in the 17oo's, but if you look cream
puffs up, the site tells you that the Choux pastry
(called that because they look like little cabbages
when they are baked) was first invented by Popelini,
Catherine de'Medici's chef.  They go on to say that
the pastries were filled with a "variety of sweet and
savory fillings".  The Choux pastry recipe hasn't
changed in several hundred years.  It's a very simple
recipe.  The hardest part of them is to figure out
your oven temps.  The recipe I got said 400 and they
burned.  I ended up pushing it all the way down to
325.  They turn out perfect in my oven.  If you've
ever been to a Bjornsborg event and seen my Period
Creme Puffs, that's the choux pastry.  Unfortunately,
they don't hold up in the humidity and tend to get a
little soggy.

Maria