[Sca-cooks] Online Paper on the use of spices in Medieval Europe

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Apr 13 10:02:03 PDT 2008

I think what is wrong with the web version is outlined at the beginning--
"The following lecture was originally delivered under the title: /The
Luxury Trades of the Silk Road: How Much Did Silks and Spices Really
Cost?/  It was delivered to the Royal Ontario Museum Continuing
Education Symposium (University of Toronto):/ Silk Roads/,
/China Ships/, on 12 October 1983."

It was a talk. Talks are usually footnoted or sourced like papers. 1983
means it's 25 years old.

"It was subsequently delivered in the revised form that appears below
as: 'Oriental Spices and Their Costs in Medieval Cuisine: Luxuries or
Necessities?' A lecture delivered to the Canadian Perspectives
Committee, Senior Alumni Association, University of Toronto, at
University College, 8 November 1988."

Again it's been given as a talk.

**N.B. The graphs referred to in this text have not been reproduced in
this document; but some tables have been added that were not in the
original lectures (the most recent in November 2001). However, more
graphs, tables, and maps may be accessed from my on-line lectures for
Economics 201Y, for medieval Mediterranean (Venetian) trade, for 15
November 2001, at this URL:

So for the last part and this web version he has not included the
graphs, tables, etc. Go read his lecture notes.

London Guildhall Manuscripts Library: MS 5174, vol. 1; Brewers' Guild,
Warden's Accounts (1424-1562); Corporation of London Record Office:
Bridge Master's Account Rolls, 1381-1398; Bridge Master's Accounts:
Weekly Payment Series, 1404 - 1510 (Vols. I - III).

The above isn't one source but a number of items held by this library.
We can't determine how many years exactly or how many account entries he
went through.

Johnna