[Sca-cooks] OOP Frying Question

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 13 14:13:47 PDT 2008

Kiri wrote:
>On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 12:11 AM, <ranvaig at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>>  Or Jalebi, which are rather like small funnel cakes that are fried then
>>  dipped into syrup. They are bright orange and intensely sweet, and taste
>>  rather less interesting than they look, IMO.
>>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalebi
>>
>>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv13kzR4wBU
>
>This reminds me of the Daifur, or Braided Bread, that we served at our
>recent ME event.  The two major differences are that this is made with
>semolina flour and the dough is braided before frying, rather than put into
>a pretzel shape.

Actually , there's another huge difference between Dafair (it's a
three syllable word - da-FA-ir) and Jalabiyya (that's the period
name, obviously the modern shorter names is derived from it). (i
don't know about the videos, but i've been exposed to modern jalebi
and recipes for them)

Dafair is a raised yeasted bread that is cooked in an oiled pan. Then
topped with drizzles of spiced honey.

Jalabiyya is a relatively liquid batter which is drizzled (from a
funnel, or can with a hole in it, or a squeeze bottle, or a pitcher)
into hot deep fat so that it becomes translucent and crispy. Then it
is soaked in syrup.

I have an ulterior motive...

The Lady of the Mists is having a "tea" at Investiture (where she
will become the Princess of the Mists). She's a really sweet person
with a "Middle Eastern" persona, but not terribly interested in being
historically accurate. But i like her and her husband, so i offered
to cook for her from time to time. Anyway, i'm going to make some
sweets for her "tea", at which she'll be serving modern Moroccan mint
tea. I've offered to make both "period" and modern Moroccan sweets,
and among the recipes i'm thinking of trying is Dafair. She only
asked for two sweets, but i'm a "more is more" kind of person, so i
want to make at least four different kinds.

So i'm interested in knowing how far ahead i can make them. The other
sweets will keep for several days if tightly sealed. I won't have
access to an oven on site, since the kitchen will be occupied with
the feast, but i might be able to set up my camp stove in the parking
lot to warm them up.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita