[Sca-cooks] Beer sludge and Marmite Herbs and Spices

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Mon Apr 14 07:42:45 PDT 2008

(Mix of OOP and period questions)

On another list devoted to more sustainable living (good overlap with skills
of the Middle Ages), I am trying to design a model garden  based on one of
the other list member, David's, complete nutrition diet.  I am trying to
figure out-- if you grow all the ingredients, how much space the garden
would take in his area.  One of the things he eats is Marmite which is made
from leftovers of the beer making process as its main ingredient. I am
trying to figure out two main issues related to the ingredients.

The first is how much barley and/or wheat  (marmite has derivatives of
wheat, barley, and soy in it so it might have some sort of miso type
fermentation going on there too) might have been used to make the beer and
then how much yeast extract residue would be left over?  So for people
brewing from grains my questions would be
* What weight of each grain goes into a smallish batch (say 5-10 gallons) of
fairly basic English beer?
* How much of the other ingredients would you use?
* Would you use hops fresh or dried?
* How much beer would you get?
* How much of the beer sludge/yeast extract would remain?

The second question is about the vegetables/herbs and spices in it.
 The label states that it has vegetables/herbs and spices in it, but not
which ones.  I also know that the NZ version of Marmite is slightly
different from the UK version of Marmite.   I am trying to figure out what
herbs and spices are in the NZ Marmite.  I don't have any access to Marmite
at the moment, but I think the ones I've had in the past were more like UK
versions.  I think I taste some celery or ground celery seed, parsley,
carrots, and onions in it, but I can't figure out what else is in there.
And I could be totally incorrect about those four vegetables/herbs.  I don't
think there is any garlic in it.  Any ideas?

Sharon
gordonse at one.net