[Sca-cooks] Period Cookbooks and Period to modern glosseries

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 15 19:44:42 PDT 2008

Morvran answered someone with:
<<<  I read english, but that is why God created foreign language to
english dictionary.? :)>>>

Please be aware that these can help, but word for word translations
often prove difficult to work with when there are multiple words in
the second language with varying aspects which may or may not be what
was intended by the original word.  We've often had discussions here
over what individual phrases meant and how they should best be
translated. But by all means, try some of this. I would start with
simply translating (redacting) some medieval recipes into a modern
form. Without measurements and somethings with unclear phrasing,
sometimes that alone can be plenty of challenge, even without doing a
language to language translation. For a bit more on 'redacting', read
this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:

Redacting-art     (10K)  7/ 3/00    "The Kitchen Wench Way: Redacting
Recipes"
                                        by Caointiarn.
redacting-msg     (44K)  2/20/08    Changing period recipes into
modern format.

In my earlier message, I forgot to mention this file. This is also in
the FOOD section, but as far as I know this project didn't get any
further. :-(
p-food-terms-lst   (9K)  9/25/00    List of period food terms
maintained by
                                        Phillipa Seton.

There is also this list of terms in the FOOD-SWEETS section:
Sweet-Terms-art   (12K)  2/ 6/06    "Some Sweet Terms" by Dame Alys
Katharine.

Folks here have also previously suggested the glossaries in the back
of some modern cookbooks of medieval recipes. Unfortunately, I can't
remember which cookbooks these were, right now.

<<< I think I want to do a bit of both adapted and original. >>>

Good. I would recommend that. You can find quite a number of both
original period recipes and people's interpretation (redactions) of
them in the various food sections of the Florilegium. Eventually most
redactions and originals posted here end up in there, and much of the
commentary.

<<< I have a lot of cooking skills, I am a chef by trade.>>>

Wonderful. That puts you ahead of many of us, including me, who often
have to learn about cooking, much less about medieval cooking. And
have to learn about translation obscure, French cooking terms from
folks like Adamantius. :-)

<<< I own 1000 eggs vol 1 and 2
I have access to Purdue University and Wabash College and a Large
Library as far as for a collection I dont know >>>

That is a good start and also an introduction to getting recipes that
still need to be interpreted.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas