[Sca-cooks] Scottish cooking

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 16 19:44:04 PDT 2008

Christianna the newbie in Texas asked:
<<< My (probably lame) question for the week is:  are there any
sources for Scottish recipes?  Period in particular?  My persona is
1315 (the Lowland Scots) but I am not particular about the year
and later receipts would be fine as well. >>>

My understanding is that in clothing and foods the lowland Scots were
that different than the British further to the south. Of course the
highland Scots were different (quite different :-) says the York
Shire gentle called li Rous)

You might want to glance at this file in the FOOD-BY-REGION section
of the Florilegium:
fd-Scotland-msg   (53K)  7/ 1/05    Medieval food of Scotland. recipes.

This is going to be more highland, than lowland, I suspect but ... In
the FOOD-MEATS section:
haggis-msg       (106K)  1/29/08    Scottish haggis recipes. comments
on haggis.

In the FOOD-BREADS section:
oakcakes-msg      (20K)  3/26/06    Period oatcakes.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com