[Sca-cooks] JSTOR

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 21:51:45 PDT 2008

Johnna wrote:
>> It's important at times to remind people that journal articles are more
>> available these days through JSTOR and other services and that in
>> fact libraries are making
>> these services available to more and more people. If not locally,
>> then regionally or through
>> state library services. For instance--

Johnna, the National Library of Spain is up to date as your local
library across the street. Chile does not even know what JSTOR is. When
we go to this little 'national' library of Chile we go with trepidation
to consult dictionaries for the page we seek can be torn out of the
volume. Contrary to Spain the employees do nothing but complain and are
not reader friendly.
   Truly I have tried to be personally admitted to JSTOR and been denied
access. I think that unfair as I had to prove that I am a writer, a
serious historian to be admitted to the Spanish National Library. In
Spain not anyone can enter the National Library as in Chile or the US,
you have be a student with a reason to go there, a professor or prove
you are professionally serious. Access is very limited. We are only 500
readers per day.
    Normally my husband and I try to spend 6 months in each country,
Chile and Spain, but I had a very bad back problem and my doctors will
not let me fly to Spain from Chile until July of 2009..
Yeah Johnna I have lots of  CD's - research./15th century Castile -
thanks to living in the Spanish National Library for so many  wonderful
years. but  want to access JSTOR.
Can anyone help my private situation? .
Suey