[Sca-cooks] Answers to my contest

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 03:10:44 PDT 2008

--- Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> I am curious though, what type of pot *is* a "mammiform costrel"?
>
> Stefan

A costrel is a period form of a canteen.  It is usually made out of clay because clay
helps keep the inside liquid, be it water, wine or something else, cool.  This particular
costrel is flat on one side so that will fit better against your body, as costrels are
intended to be carried on one's belt.  The other side is rounded, much more rounded that
the other costrels and apparently someone somewhere thought that they looked rather
breast-like, hense the word "mammiform".

Here is a picture of how Hroar's reproduction looks:

http://www.griffindyeworks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=50_55&products_id=296

Here are some examples from the Museum of London collection:

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=114353

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=114387

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=114377

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=114373

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=114372

Huette

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/