[Sca-cooks] Teaching in the SCA

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 23:24:13 PDT 2008

Phlip,

I don't know if you have yet, but you should talk to THL Njall Olaf Hagarson.  He has
a wonderful portable forge on wheels that he uses for his demos.  He built it when he lived
here in Caid.  It is now closer to you since he recently moved to Meridies.

Huette

--- Saint Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:

> Actually, I've been thinking about your question, and what I'd like to
> say, since I do a bit of teaching, myself.
>
> As far as what it takes for me to teach, all I really need is a venue-
> which, since what I primarily teach is blacksmithing, can be difficult
> ;-) Often, though, the difficulty is not from MY point of view, but
> from the unnecessary worries that an autocrat would have. I work
> safely- I have never had so much as a lifted eyebrow from any Fire
> Marshall that has looked at my set up (of course, 2 fire
> extinguishers, a bucket of sand, and a large bucket of water DO give
> the impression that I'm well prepared ;-) But, autocrats DO worry, and
> sometimes it takes a bit to convince them that really, all I need is a
> 15' X 15' flatish space. Preferences include a water spigot and a
> bathroom in reasonable proximity (time I take to go to the bathroom is
> time that people can't use the forge unless certain safety conditions
> are met) and maybe help setting up and tearing down.
>
> As far as what I actually teach, it will depend on a number of
> factors, including the ages of the students, what THEY are interested
> in, what _I_ feel like teaching, and what supplies I have available.
> But, one of the very important thing about my teaching, is that as
> soon as I can, I get someone who has learned a technique to show it to
> the next person. By teaching others, they learn better, and my shop
> becomes more than a bunch of individuals doing their thing, but rather
> a team working together, everyone helping everyone else. When it's
> working right, I just sit back and supervise, and only say something
> or help if there is real need. One of the things I've discovered, too,
> is that occasionally, when I run into someone who doesn't understand
> my explanation, often there's someone in the class who CAN help them
> understand.
>
> So, rather than teaching itself, my goal is to provide a learning
> environment. Seems to work pretty well ;-)
>
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:
> > Since the list is quiet, does anyone have thoughts on teaching and classes
> > in the SCA?
> >
> > Johnnae
> >

> > Johnna mentioned on April 21:
> >
> > > I thought people on the list might like to know that
> > > the Theme for the next TI Quest is on teaching.
> > >
> > > Tempted to Teach.
> > > What does it take to entice you to teach?
> > > What equipment do you need? Handicapped Access?
> > > Facilities? Etc.
> > >
> > > May 7, 2008 is the deadline.
> > >
> > > Suggestions can be sent to tieditor at sca.org
> > >
> > > Johnnae
>
> --
> Saint Phlip
>
> Heat it up
> Hit it hard
> Repent as necessary.
>
> Priorities:
>
> It's the smith who makes the tools, not the tools which make the smith.

> [...]

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/