[Sca-cooks] Teaching in the SCA

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 23 12:10:55 PDT 2008

Kiri commented:

<<< Another really important part of being a good student is to
arrive at the
class on time.  It is seriously annoying to be in the middle of a
thought
only to have it disrupted by someone arriving late.  The courteous
student
will arrive before the scheduled start time, locate a seat and get
settled
(pen, paper, whatever to take notes, etc.) before the instructor
starts. >>>

Arriving late isn't always the fault of the student. Sometimes the
individual scheduling the event forgets that you need transit time
between classes, even if they are in the same building or in adjacent
tents. Perhaps it is unusual but I'm someone who often will try to
attend three or four classes in a row and I've had many teachers
teach right up to (or past) the time the next class is supposed to
start. Then I find myself scurrying off to that next class hoping I
won't be too late or disruptive.

This is also an advantage of having all classes in one area.
Unfortunately there are other reasons not to, such as the Early
Period Encampment at Gulf Wars being on the other side of the event
from the class tents. Or the Middle Eastern encampment at Pennsic not
being near the class tents. Or the problem with having classes in
private encampments.

If the teacher fails to show up for a class I was planning on
attending, I usually look for an alternate, if I haven't already had
another one in mind that the original beat out. But since it often
isn't clear that the teacher isn't going to show up for five or ten
minutes, changing to another class already means joining it late, and
if I have to cross the camp to get to that other class, impossible.

Another problem recently at Pennsic or maybe it was Gulf Wars, was
even finding out where the private encampment where a class was being
held was located.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas