[Sca-cooks] Teaching in the SCA

Robert Evans honeymonkey78 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 12:58:05 PDT 2008

well being " like new" in the sca. i have been teaching a few classes (cooking some core classes like "sca fighting for newcomers" , but what i teach most is fighting from period manuals.(digrassi,silver,cape ferro,has wurm) i know i know, give me a tic. i feel that what you teach isn't as important how you teach it. i have seen some one who is into what thay teach and the class bomb. on the other hand i have seen the opposite. its really up to who you are teaching as well.  as a teacher i think that you need to interact with your "students" so to get them into what the message is.
  a little soul baring here.. i like clothing all periods and places. i have found an interest in woman's fashion. now I'm 300lbs blond hair 6'4" male. (thump! thump!_ beats chest to scare off others_) think about being the only one male in the class of about 25. now besides all the weird looks i got, i was able to tell the differnts in a Tudor gown and a Elizabethan. because of this class i meet my lady. so know your auidance. it could only lead to better things.
  thanx
  Kluas
  BACK TO THE SHADOWS!!!! let the lurking begin.

Lilinah <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Johnnae wrote:
>Since the list is quiet, does anyone have thoughts on teaching and classes
>in the SCA?

Uh, i teach. I teach cooking and costuming. Sometimes purely lecture
classes. Sometimes hands-on classes. Primarily, but not exclusively
on topics Near and Middle Eastern.

What do i need? I need my stuff and students. I'm often disappointed
when the latter do not turn up. Since i don't own a lap-top, i can't
do PowerPoint illustrated lectures at the indoor events. I just give
lots of hand outs.

I have three opportunities per year to teach: At the Spring and Fall
Collegium Occidentalis, which is usually held in a school, and at the
West Kingdom Arts and Sciences Tourney, which is a weekend camping
event.

Some months after i finished translating Stephane Yerasimos's book
into English, i taught my first-pass lecture class on 15th and 16th
C. Ottoman food and feasts at the Fall Collegium, i had one, count
'em, one student. That was a disappointment. After all, even for the
hard-core Europhiles, Istanbul *is* in Europe. And since so little is
currently out there about period Ottoman food, i thought i'd have a
few more... i was expecting maybe six.

Last year at A&S I had about 8 students show up for a hands-on
Ottoman cooking class in which we made, IIRC, 3 dishes. It was over
100 degrees Fahrenheit that day, but fortunately not humid.

Often at a Collegium Occidentalis (which are nearly always money
losers, with low turnout), the Home Ec. kitchen is being used to cook
the feast, so, when permitted, we teach cooking classes outdoors on
camp stoves (many, if not most, California schools involve classrooms
that open directly into the outdoors and are often oriented around
courtyards). However not all schools (our typical Collegiua sites)
have Home Ec. kitchens, so sometimes there's no cooking at all :-(

I'm planning to teach at the Cooks Symposium up in An Tir in November
this year. I'm pretty sure i'll get more than one student.

What sorts of info/ideas were you interested in?
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing