[Sca-cooks] OT: Latin question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 26 12:25:10 PDT 2008

Brekke asked:

<<< My cousin is asking for help in translating "Quality, Speed,
Teamwork" into Latin.  My latin is stale, rusty, and sparse; can
anyone more knowledgeable help me? >>>

I'm sure someone else has probably answered this by now, but for the
future, there are these two files in the HERALDRY section of the
Florilegium:
mottoes1-msg     (113K) 10/25/00    Latin mottoes for SCA use.
mottoes2-msg      (80K) 10/25/00    More Latin mottoes and phrases.

Most of the translations in these files were done by Mistress
Gunnora, also known as the Viking Answer Lady. One of the things she
does that I like, is that she doesn't just give you a word by word
translation, but explains why some words are better than others and
why some phrases do not translate word for word into Latin. She is
also willing to help others with such translations, but asks that you
look at these two files first, so that she doesn't have to translate
the same mottoes multiple times.

For those interested in brushing up on, or learning Latin, there are
some online resources detailed in these files in the EDUCATION section:
languages-msg     (80K)  7/21/07    Sources for learning Anglo-Saxon,
Latin.
Latin-msg         (36K)  2/ 4/08    Learning Latin. Some basics. WWW
course.
Latin-online-art  (15K)  6/10/99    "Learning Latin On-Line" by Gunnora
                                        Hallakarva.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas