[Sca-cooks] Chuck vs Bottom Round

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 27 21:24:35 PDT 2008

> Serena da Riva:
<SNIP>
> What should I do? Is there enough of a difference between
> Chuck and Round in flavor that it will significantly impact
> my recipe? From what I can determine the biggest difference
> is that Chuck is fattier than Round. Can I make up the
> difference by getting some free beef fat and larding the Round roast?

In my experience (Grandad was a farmer-rancher, chuck vs. round made a
difference to *him* when he gave orders to the meat processing plant),
Chuck is typically coarser / stringier as well.  Slow, long cooking
should do well with either cut, but I would expect the Round to be
better for your purpose.  I'm usually better off with Chuck cooked in
liquid -- or at least a closed pan.  "Swiss steak", and other smothered
steak preparation methods commonly used with Chuck, I am most confident
in preparing in a *mostly* covered pan, removing the lid only on the
front end when searing or later to turn / stir the contents.

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MikeCBaker at verizon.net
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
http://wizardsdenblogedition.blogspot.com/