[Sca-cooks] Lowest Cost for a reasonably festive feast & acamping event meal ?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Apr 28 14:09:08 PDT 2008

> Yup.  I don't always do bread (I do do it often), but I think bought
> pastry is probably the biggest waste of money possible.   It's not
> _that_ much more convenient, and frequently, it's kind of yucky as well.

I think it depends, a little, on what kind of pastry crew you've got, and
what your resources are for cheap pastry.

Every time I've done pastry for an event, I've bought the frozen pastry,
but at discount stores. Usually, with clever pre-shopping, I can 2-3
packages of 2 pie shells for $1, which can be cheaper than buying the pie
shells themselves. Every time I've done a covered pie, I've been able to
buy the rolled pastry for 2 packages for $1 (25 cents a piece). That's the
only thing that's made it possible for this pastry-phobic cook to do pies
at all. If I can't get pre-made pie shells, I will probably beg my mom to
do the pie shells. Hers are rather heavy, but she always is willing to
help. Otherwise, there will be no pie.

We have a few people in our kingdom who delight in making pie crusts, but
I'm definitely not one of them, and I'm loathe to impose on them. I've
been in kitchen where we made the pie crusts on site, or even someone
brought the pie crusts pre-made from home and we worked with them, and to
me it's a lot of work for a lot of staff.

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net