[Sca-cooks] Chuck vs Bottom Round

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 06:22:19 PDT 2008

>  What did you use/are you going to use for "Grape Juice"? Concord
>  grape juice isn't going to do, either flavor and origin-wise. Non-
>  alcoholic wines are generally horrible and neither they or wine are
>  going to taste like grape juice. Have you found some non-fermented
>  grape juice from the right grapes?

I am afraid, at this particular point, that niceties like the correct
grape and such cannot be a significant part of my concern. As we have
been discussing, food prices are going crazy, gas prices are going
crazy, everything is going crazy.

I have several restrictions on this particular feast.

1) I have $6 a head to plan this feast. when taking into consideration
the rise in food costs I estimate it is equivalent to attempting a
feast at $4 a head in my previous mindset.

2) I was originally cooking for 80 people and due to the scheduling of
an elevation of a popular fighter at a competing event the number has
been reduced to 60. Because of this I have no economy of scale and
cannot buy things in cases for case prices.

3) I am doing this feast for a group that is not my own, the group
that is sponsoring this event does not have any cooks at the point
where they are ready to step up and cook. Because of this I have been
attempting to mentor a potential cook who lives 6 hours away. I have
met her once and all other communication has been via email.

4) This is the first feast I am attempting to plan having had a child
(currently 16 months old) who has proven to be a Klingon, and my
husband has been traveling extensively over the last 4 months, leaving
me little time for planning, testing etc... precooking has been out of
the question.

I have been in the unfamiliar position of having to go and check
prices, figure out what I can afford to cook, and then go look for
recipes that will fit the ingredients as opposed to the way I am
accustomed to planning a feast. Which is doing research, figuring out
what is correct and appropriate and trying to do my best to make it as
period as possible.

So, the answer to your question regarding grape juice is the cheapest
kind I can find. Which will undoubtedly be Concord Grape. Am I happy
about that? No. Does the finished dish taste good? Yes. Is the recipe
from a period source? Yes. Are all of the ingredients authentically
period? No, the grape juice is a problem as you have pointed out. I
guess I should also be buying grass fed beef to closer approximate
period beef and make sure that I grow my own herbs so that I can
ensure that they come from a period version of the plant.

OK, that last bit was sarcastic and uncalled for, I am sorry. I am
very frustrated, as I think many of us are. While I would love to be
able to do things completely period what it comes down to for me is
that this is a Feast. My primary concern is that it is Tasty, Safely
Prepared and Served in a Timely Fashion and comes in on budget. The
"customers" are the most important aspect of this endeavor. It is a
Feast and not an Arts & Sciences competition entry. My wants and needs
are not foremost.

And while there have been many excellent suggestions on how to cut
feast costs bandied about, many of them are completely unrealistic for
many people. If you have an existing garden, then yes planting foods
might be an option. But for me to get my backyard up and running as a
functioning garden would cost hundreds if not over a thousand dollars
and weeks worth of man hours.

The simple task of driving around to more distant food sources to try
and find better prices is impractical considering the cost of gas. The
extra .20 per pound I might save is eaten up in my gas prices. And I
am afraid that I cannot put travel expenses into my feast budget.

What most of the suggestions involve is an investment of time in place
of money. And of all of the commodities that are scarce in my life
right now, time is the most valuable. It has taken me over an hour to
write this missive because I have had to stop to remove the following
things from my offspring's hands: and empty soda can, a hanger, a
styrofoam cup, bunny poop and a box of altoids. I have also had to
change a diaper and extricate from behind a piece of furniture because
he has not figured out how to go backwards yet. Mind you, I am not
complaining, I am simply illustrating my point.

I know that there are many, many of you out there that have managed
many children and learned how to juggle all of this - and I applaud
you. I am simply on the bottom end of this learning curve. ;).

Well, I am sorry if I have bored the tar out of many of you, hopefully
you quit reading when I got to the pity party part of the program. And
Stefan, please know that I in no way intended to attack or offend you
- your question simply set me off on a tear. You have excellent points
and I wish I could answer them with a more positive answer.

OK, gotta feed the baby,

--
Serena da Riva