[Sca-cooks] Baby boys was Chuck vs Bottom Round reply from Isabella

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Tue Apr 29 14:02:33 PDT 2008

I/we are coping too with raising small children; a 5 year old and a 1 year
old. In Trimaris, all of the major kingdom events are at least a four hour
drive from where we live, so I haven't been to a kingdom level event in over
5 years, I think Dan has been to one. Just when Margaret was old enough I
could think of becoming active in the SCA again, I found myself pregnant
with Abigail, and had to put it on hold again  for a while. We are fortunate
that we live in a very active barony, but between two little kids and
school, I haven't even been to one of our four annual baronial events in
over a year, and I maybe make one in three of the meetings.  The good news
is that the barony is ticking along quite nicely without us, and everybody
understands the demands of small children-I've noticed in my sixteen years
in the SCA that when people have babies they pretty much have to take a step
back for a while. Kudos to you for being able to plan a feast with a little
one, but I think we can all agree that real life comes first; the SCA will
still be there when you have some more time for it. I found myself
inheriting the herald's office right before I went back to school, ( I
didn't really want it yet but the sitting herald walked and I didn't want to
do that) and had to hand it off after about a year because I just didn't
have time for it. So, do the best you can and if anyone has a problem with
it it's their problem, not yours, and remember that there are lots of us on
your side.
YIS,
Isabella de la Gryffin
PS: I have found the internet an invaluable resource for keeping in touch
with other grownups, thank you again to everyone who has responded to me
when I had a question, It means a lot to me to be reminded that there are
other people out there (;-)

Frank Zappa

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead.
Thomas Paine