[Sca-cooks] Salt fish recipes?-- I.E. SALTED (preserved) fish

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Apr 30 12:53:06 PDT 2008

As Master A has already suggested there is also this one--
Searching under COD in medievalcookery.com

This is an excerpt from *Enseignements qui enseingnent a apareillier
toutes manieres de viandes*
(France, ca. 1300 - D. Myers, trans.)
The original source can be found at MedievalCookery.com
<http://www.medievalcookery.com/notes/lessons.shtm>

Fresh cod should be cooked in well salted water and if you want to eat
with white aillie of garlic and almonds, temper with vinegar and fry in
oil. Salted with mustard.

The other versions listed are these:

COD (morue) is not spoken of in Tournay unless it is salt
<http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?lmdp:389> (Le
Menagier de Paris)

Codling and haddock
<http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?via:123> (Le Viandier
de Taillevent)

Codling or kelyng
<http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?nob:155> (A Noble
Boke off Cookry)

Fresh cod <http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?via:122>
(Le Viandier de Taillevent)

FRESH COD is prepared and cooked like gurnet with white wine in the
cooking <http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?lmdp:391> (Le
Menagier de Paris)

And also under COD  this one turns up:

This is an excerpt from *Le Menagier de Paris*
(France, 1393 - Janet Hinson, trans.)
The original source can be found at David Friedman's website
<http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier.html>

STOCKFISH must be cut into square pieces like a chequerboard, then soak
for only one night, then take it out of the water, and put it to dry on
a cloth; then put your oil on to boil, then fry your pieces of fish in a
little oil, and eat with mustard or garlic sauce. Stockfish is made,
apparently, from cod.

Johnnae