[Sca-cooks] Salma (Lamb and Round Noodles), was Khabisa with Pomegranate

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 1 20:30:03 PDT 2008

Kiri wrote:
>Just in case folks were wondering...when Dame Hauviette was on this list,
>she shared her research and feast information most willingly, as have I over
>the years I've been on this list.  In addition, she has continued to do so,
>now that she is no longer with us.  In fact, many of the recipes I used, and
>put into the file on Yahoo, came from her previous work.  However, in the
>case of the Turkish recipes that she loaned me, it is not just her wish that
>I not publish the recipes.  Her publisher would have a fit...and might even
>be able to bring legal action, if I violated the copyright on them, even
>here.  This will be a means of earning income for her, so, in this case,
>sharing out the recipes would, in effect, be taking money from not only her
>pocket, but that of the people who are working with her to create the
>ebook.  She has said that SCA members will be given a discount on the book.
>
>I really don't want folks to think that this is just a matter of
>selfishness, which could be inferred from Urtatim's comment (I know that
>can't be the way you mean it, dear lady...but it kind of came across that
>way), but more a potentially legal situation.

Yes, that was not my implication.

In fact, i've been "sitting" on my late 15th C. Ottoman recipes
because i've translated the work of someone else, who, while dead,
still has copyright on his work (or, at least, his estate does),
Stephane/Stefanos Yerasimos. Translating the 20+ recipes that he did,
from Eski Osmanlica into modern Turkish and French, was still a
massive undertaking (there are something in the vicinity of 80
Ottoman recipes in the manuscript, not counting the variations on
al-Baghdadi).

And he also did an immense amount of research into food in Ottoman
Istanbul in the 15th and 16th centuries, which occupies most of the
book, "A la table du Grand Turc" (in French) and "Sultan Sofralari"
(in modern Turkish), going through the archives of the Ottoman Empire.

While working on my translation of the entire book from French into
English, i noticed differences between the French and Turkish texts,
in some places significant. But since i don't really read modern
Turkish, i've been waiting until i can to compare the two texts in
more detail. So I've been procrastinating about trying to arrange for
publication of my translation of Yerasimos until i can get to that
modern Turkish text. I've got at least one contact who i should ask
for help, my Arabic teacher, who also knows modern Turkish.

As can be seen, i, too, have been hesitant to pas around my recipes,
since they are really the work of S. Yerasimos. I am quite
sympathetic to Dame Hauviette, since she has a publication contract.
But i figured it would be ok for me to make a few of my recipe
translations public, since they are my work, as long as i give S.
Yerasimos credit.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita