[Sca-cooks] Food for a Demo

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 1 22:31:53 PDT 2008

Ranvaig commented:

<<< Our shire is a campus group, but always has trouble getting
actual students involved. Tomorrow we are doing a public demo on
campus, and they are bribing the students to talk to us by having
free pizza.  I opened my mouth and said shouldn't we have PERIOD
food?  So, I'm going to make some.

I'm looking for something, relatively cheap and easy, not too weird
for students, but different enough to be interesting.   For this I
want something with an actual period recipe, please.  I wont be able
to cook on site, it will need to be made ahead, but its my day off,
so I have some time. >>>

While it depends upon how far you stretch the definition of "pizza",
some variations of pizza are period.

pizza-msg         (20K)  9/ 2/06    Period pizza and similar items.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/pizza-msg.html
Is-it-Pizza-art   (27K)  4/27/04    "When is a Pizza not a Pizza?"
                                        by Helewyse de Birkestad
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/Is-it-Pizza-art.html

<<< I was thinking handheld pies of some type.  Any suggestions? >>>

A few recipes, although you may have a favorite of your own already.

meat-pies-msg    (144K)  4/20/05    Period meat pies. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/meat-pies-msg.html

Sometimes for demos it is more convenient to use finger foods which
can be eaten casually rather than needing a place to sit down. This
also eliminates the need for a lot of feastgear. Perhaps this is what
you had in mind when thinking of using handheld pies, but here are
some others.

finger-foods-msg  (26K)  4/30/07    Ideas for finger foods at feasts
and events.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/finger-foods-msg.html

Stefan
--------