[Sca-cooks] Food for a Demo

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 3 16:07:28 PDT 2008

On Apr 3, 2008, at 6:09 PM, Dragon wrote:
> Antonia Calvo wrote:
>> otsisto wrote:
>>
>>> I do find a drawback with Gyngerbrede in that it tends to
>>> perpetuate the
>>> spicing to cover rancid myth.
>>>

>> Um... how so?
> ---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>
> Yeah, I was wondering the same thing myself. It doesn't seem to
> follow...
>
> Dragon

I thought it might either be a joke, or perhaps in keeping with the
idea (rightly or wrongly) that gingerbread in this form is one of
those "lost bread" dishes that could be argued (not necessarily
successfully) to be a use of expensive spices to make unpalatable
bread palatable. In other words, a use of spices constituting a frugal
expedient, as has been posited in the rotten-meat-and-spices scenario.

Of course, most or all of the arguments against the rotten meat thing
would also apply here.

Or maybe I just didn't get the point...

Adamantius