[Sca-cooks] Flat Folk, was: Totally OT - Looking for Lochac

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Fri Apr 4 00:19:41 PDT 2008

I'm jumping in for Serena here, because I'm up at 2AM and I'm guessing she
isn't :)
To those that have offered photoshopping, I'd have to say yes, that is
cheating.  The point of it is that Stanley gets to go places that the person
that created it can't go.  It really opens up the world of wonder as to
"what could be in the mailbox today" to a child.

I've been visited by a couple of Flat Kids sent to Mad Science.  I've taken
them with me to my classes, and gotten pictures of them with my students
doing various experiments and such.

We made a Flat Sven and Svana in my Viking history classes last year, and
sent them to a Norselander event in upstate New York.  They participated in
all the activities of the event, from the live weapons range to the feast to
gambling and even firewalking!
Here is a link to my Picassa album with Flat Sven and Svana pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kingstaste/FlatSvenAndSvana

I took them to Pennsic last year and entered them in the A&S display,
complete with pictures and the journal, along with a one-page explanation of
the project.  I got one really good nose-in-the-air-sniff from some woman in
a very sparkly Baronial coronet, I heard her exclaim as she went by: "Well
Really!  Paper dolls!"  LOL  From those with a more open-minded nature, I
got lots of really wonderful comments and a load of baubles left in
appreciation of the project.  I spoke with several Chatelaines and kid's
coordinators that loved the idea and wanted to do something like it at their
local events.
When last seen, Sven and Svana were going home with Meadhbh the Jeweler to
go with her and her mother on a cruise to Morocco, Turkey and other
Mediterranean ports of call.  No word has yet come back from this voyage....

Here's hoping Flat Coy will find many fun places to visit, look for him and
other Flat Folks in a mailbox near you!
Christianna