[Sca-cooks] Period food myths

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 4 08:47:00 PDT 2008

On Apr 4, 2008, at 11:33 AM, Michael Gunter wrote:
> Even formal dinners are affairs of debauchery with wine swilling
> (spilling it on yourself is required), eating with the hands, loud
> laughter, wench grabbing, food throwing, turkey leg tossing,
> haunch gobbetting, acrobats in motley (dwarfs cost extra),
> and at least one swordfight.

I believe you forgot to mention the fact that the swordfight (men in
armor or sometimes floppy shirts hundreds of years anachronistic,
wielding impossibly light, civil swords about 200 years or more early
for their style, fencing in the manner of the late 18th century) must,
at least in part, take place on top of some poor unfortunate's dinner
table.

Oh, and let's not forget the fact that everyone wore poison rings so
they could bump each other off. No feast was complete without at least
one unexplained death.

Maybe they used the poison to disguise the flavor of bad meat, and
people died of food poisoning?

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter