[Sca-cooks] Flour Recommendation?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 10 15:09:02 PDT 2008

Alys asked:
<<< Greetings!  It was pointed out that perhaps the somewhat floppy
dough that
resulted (in my attempt at a hand-raised tart case) could have been the
type of flour.  I used what was in the cannister - all purpose flour.  I
want to try the dough again.  It will be twice as much flour by
weight as
butter.  Water is the only liquid.  What type of flour might be
better for
a sturdier dough?  Bread flour?  Pastry flour?  Something else? >>>

I'm not sure that this will have a direct answer to your question,
but you might find some of the info in this file in the FOOD-BREADS
section of the Florilegium to be useful:

flour-msg        (106K)  1/12/08    Types of flour. Sources. Period
flour.

<<< Alys Katharine, going from sugar to flour >>>

Probably won't help much price-wise, as both seem to be going up in
price and will continue to do so. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas