[Sca-cooks] period cream puffs?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 11 22:18:03 PDT 2008

Bear replied to me with:

 > What you missed the Pies of Paris and other filled pastry dishes?

Well, I at least missed the interpretation of these as a puff pastry,
ie: a layer of dough concocted and fried in such a way as to puff up
such that it could then be filled. I thought the Pies of Paris, and
the other filled pastry dishes, were more like pies, a layer of dough
filled with a filling and then another layer placed on top of them
and sealed, but with no significant puffing.

Thank you Helewyse for posting that recipe and your redaction. I
probably would have missed that as being a puffed pastry since I
thought a frittour was more of a lumpy dough (things in the dough)
and then fried, again without significant puffing. But the deep in
the recipe, it does say "and when the fritters begin to be cooked
they will crack,because by nature they puff up and become like medlars."

Stefan

> Oh? I don't remember anything like this being discussed here before.
> Stuffed bread, yes. But not stuffed pastry. What are you basing this
> on? Do you have a period recipe? Can you please post your redaction
> (s)? These sound like they might make a good item for a sideboard or
> breakfast.
>
> Thanks,
>   Stefan

--------