[Sca-cooks] OOP Frying Question

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sat Apr 12 21:11:09 PDT 2008

> I keep seeing something that looks like funnel cakes
>in the Indian markets in the neighborhood, that must have been poured
>through an opening the thickness of a pencil, or less. I haven't tried
>them, but they look cool.

I can think of two things this could be:

Sev a dry crispy snack of chickpea flour, sometimes served on top of Bhel puri.  (I was killing myself for this name on the chickpea thread the other night).
http://madteaparty.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/sev-01.JPG

http://www.kalustyans.com/pictures/sev-sancha.jpg
They are made from a relatively thick dough, in a Sev press. You turn the crank and the dough is pushed out the holes in the bottom.  There are interchangeable plates for different sizes. Sometimes they have a star cross section instead of round.

I've got one of those gadgets... somewhere... but couldn't find it when I wanted to make some a couple of weeks ago.  If I buy a new one, either I'll loose both of them, or find the old one.

Or Jalebi, which are rather like small funnel cakes that are fried then dipped into syrup. They are bright orange and intensely sweet, and taste rather less interesting than they look, IMO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalebi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv13kzR4wBU
I found a nice little video for making Jalebi, with lemon, cardamom, and saffron flavoring.   Homemade ones are probably much better.

I think I saw Jalebi in Nimatnama.  They might be period (at least the name if not the modern recipe).  I only have a scanned copy, but will try to look for it.

I found this on the web, but no citation
"Jalebi originated in Arabia, where it was called Zalabia. It was brought to India during Moghul Empire."
http://www.indiacurry.com/desserts/ds008jalebi.htm

Ranvaig