[Sca-cooks] Scottish cooking

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Apr 16 04:21:58 PDT 2008

Liz Wilson wrote:
> My (probably lame) question for the week is:  are there any
> sources for Scottish recipes?  Period in particular?  My persona is
> 1315 (the Lowland Scots) but I am not particular about the year
> and later receipts would be fine as well.
>
> Christianna the newbie in Texas

I don't have a recipe source for you, but you may want to know that the
1310s were unfortunately the times of great famine, the worst of it in
1315-1317. There was a series of cold, wet winters, followed by cold,
wet summers. Grain rotted in the fields, there were huge crop failures,
and subsequent bread riots. Estimates of the death rate range from
10-25%, and it weakened the remaining population significantly, leaving
them very vulnerable when the plague came around in the mid-century. Not
a pleasant time to be around.

Not to discourage you from doing the time period for your persona- just
that it is important to know that sort of thing.

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore