[Sca-cooks] Period Cookbooks and Period to modern glosseries

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Apr 19 09:23:08 PDT 2008

In a message dated 4/17/2008 9:46:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
vikinglord at cox.net writes:

<<I have been serfing your flori thing and I found it rather  frustrating
looking for receipes from the late 12th century,  english.>>

I've been finding it frustrating, too, in general; that's when and where my
persona is from.  Unfortunately, there just isn't much out there at all in
the way of recipes from that early.  It's not just that they aren't in the
Florilegium; there isn't much anywhere unless there is a recipe manuscript
waiting to be discovered somewhere.
The earliest collection I'm aware of from close to that time is "Libellus  de
arte coquinaria: An Early Northern Cookery Book" by Rudolph Grewe and
Constance B Hieatt, ISBN 0-86698-264-7.  This is a translation and  discussion of
several versions of the same manuscript from the early 13th  century in Danish,
Icelandic and Low German, although there is some speculation  that the
original of the manuscript may actually have been from southern Europe  due to some
of the ingredients used.

The other source, much harder to find, is an article entitled "Two
Anglo-Norman Culinary Collections Edited form British Library Manuscripts  Additional
32085 and Royal 12.C.xii" by Constance B. Hieatt, and Robin F. Jones,  which
was published in the magazine Speculum, Issue 61/4, in 1986.  I  have it only in
oversized photocopy sent to me by a member of this list.   These are said to
be the earliest English recipes.  The Additional  manuscript is from the late
13th century while the MS Royal manuscript is from  ca. 1320-40.

I wish there was more out there for late 12th, too, but if there is, it
hasn't been found yet.

Brangwayna Morgan

listings at AOL Autos.