[Sca-cooks] Answers to my contest

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 21 23:17:57 PDT 2008

Like Maire, I didn't have the slightest idea what most of those words
meant, so I didn't try. And since Huette said no online sources, I
couldn't use the Florilegium. I guess I could have used my local
master copy here at home :-), but I doubt that many, if any, were in
there.

Johnnae said:
<<<This is what comes from having the home library that I have assembled
over the past 35 years and
spent a fortune on. I can play word games like this.
And yes, I looked the words up in various printed sources. Old fashioned
things like books and journals! >>>

Yes, but how do you have them organized so you knew where to go look?
In the past you've said that most of your 10000+ books were down in
the basement. So how did you even know which boxes to look in? I only
have a little over 1600 catalogued in Readerware and maybe a couple
of hundred that aren't cataloged yet since they don't have ISBN or
Library of Congress numbers. But this is most of my books and only
have about 20 linear feet of food history/cookbooks. But even though
most are in one area it would still take me a while to find the books
wanted.

<<< If you sorted the words out by date and made some reasonable guesses
to to where they might have appeared it worked out.
But of course I own these sorts of sources and have them at hand.>>>

Okay, that helps, some. Did you then use the indexes to check for
individual words? Or did some of your books have glossaries that
contained these words?

<<< My guess is that the words could have been "googled" also with the
answers found. >>>

I thought that that was disallowed.

Congratulations to both Johnnae and Suey! Suey, we've heard from
Johnnae how she did it and it doesn't surprise me considering her
specific expertise and resources. But, I'm interested in knowing how
you went about this, particularly since English isn't your primary
language and I believe most of those words were middle (early
modern?) English. Of course since most of those didn't resemble
modern definitions of modern English words, may having English as a
primary language was a disadvantage. :-)

Huette, I would say be less concerned with prizes and do fewer words
at one time. I find that list, even now, to be a bit overwhelming.
Another reason that I didn't enter is being a bit stretched on time
right now, doing a major overhaul of the Florilegium, and trying to
do a job search. A shorter list might have been easier for me to
squeeze in.

I am curious though, what type of pot *is* a "mammiform costrel"?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com