[Sca-cooks] Teaching in the SCA

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 23 09:33:58 PDT 2008

> I rarely teach in the SCA any more.
>
> Not because I don't want to but because the autocrats of the
> Ithra's (our classes) either ask me to late (to late being 3
> months) or to early (being a year in advance). Timing is
> everything. I am almost always booked 3 months in advance
> with work, or other engagements. On the other hand I am not
> able to commit a year in advance because my work schedule is
> not solid that far in advance.
> I love to teach, and will go anybut the reality is the Ithra
> Chancellors who get me to teach at their events are the ones
> that continue to ask (and ask early, but not to early).
> Also it is important to have an open mind in what you want
> someone to teach. I have had people say "I would like you to
> teach A and only A and nothing but A" and I no longer want to
> teach A or I will teach A if you also let me teach B.
> Flexibility is critical if I am going to teach. Have an idea
> of what you want me to teach, but be flexible.
>
> David

I've been watching this thread with interest, and watching for a moment
where I could contribute.  Found it!

I have several suggestions related to Ld. David's experience, all of
which I have used / offered previously.  NONE of the following is meant
as a criticism; I am only attempting to describe alternative approaches.

1.  If you know in advance when a re-occurring event is scheduled, go
ahead and add it to your personal schedule as soon as you have the
date(s) available.  (Events with "permanent" event dates, such as "wars"
or reserved dates on kingdom calendars, are simplest for this
strategy...)  Decide whether or not you are willing to attend, THEN
whether or not you are willing to teach.

2.  Prepare the class or classes you are willing to teach.  I have three
"standards" and several more in the status of "I can wing it" or that
otherwise need very little additional work -- and other material that I
can dredge back to the surface from my lifetime in Scouting.

3.  Offer the autocrat / course coordinator the courses you most want to
teach *first*, with preliminary details (time, space, student capacity,
any fees or pre-requisites).  Be willing to compromise, but only within
you own comfort zone.

3A.  If the target event requires substantial travel, also consider
offering to teach at non-event locations on the way to or from the event
and contact "local" A&S leaders in the appropriate branches with a
proposal.

4.  If you are going to attend an event and the format doesn't include
formal classes, you can still offer your material informally.

5.  If an event has formal classes scheduled, if you have a class
prepared but are not otherwise scheduled, offer the class coordinator /
autocrat your services as emergency fill-in (for instructors who fail to
appear -- "life happens").

6.  Where possible, structure at least one class in your repertoire for
flexibility in terms of time, facility, materials, etc.  For example, I
teach a class on the myth and history of Bards -- I've done a version in
less than an hour, and a full session in three, as well as at the
"natural" two-hour length.

7.  If the material lends itself to the concept, prepare a children's
version as well as an adult version (or vice versa) -- and consider a
"blended" version that will engage both adults AND children.

Hope this has not rambled too far...

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MikeCBaker at verizon.net
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
http://wizardsdenblogedition.blogspot.com/