[Sca-cooks] Teaching in the SCA

K C Francis katiracook at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 24 14:31:32 PDT 2008

Greetings,

Many years ago I was convinced by an A&S autocrat that I could teach a class so I did a walk through of my camp and shared all my camping 'secrets'.   I now have the West teaching award, the Western Lily.  I teach inkle weaving, Roman wire & bead jewelry, the camping class, and some classes on cookery among other things.  Getting over the fear of feeling unworthy to share what I know was the big first step.  After that it was easy.

As has been mentioned already, the West has three big teaching events.  Two 1 day Collegiums at schools where most are lecture and non-messy hands on classes.  And the camping A&S event where almost anything goes.  Lots of local groups sponser their own collegium/A&S events as well, so there are many opportunities to teach and learn.  I've even taught at local meetings.

I was at Urtatim's cookery class in the 100 degree heat.  A stove and picnic table in a sunshade were all it took to do the class at this outdoor event.

Working closely with the autocrat is important to be able to plan well for a class.  I was not sure about teaching a jewelry class outdoors on a flimsy folding table but after making my requirements clear, a sturdy table was provided and the class went fine.  I ask that my inkle class be just before lunch so people can continue weaving beyond the end of the class time if they want.  If the class periods are short, I ask for 2 periods.  If my clean up is lengthy I ask for the last period of the day so as to not impact the next teacher.

My advice:
Be comfortable with your subject
Be prepared (handouts/materials)
Work with the autocrat for site and time requirements
Relax and have fun

Katira al-Maghrebiyya