[Sca-cooks] New World Foods

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Sat Apr 26 08:49:15 PDT 2008

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps did speak thusly:

>Grapefruit is post period.  Does anyone know about the avacado?  I'm
>thinking that it is new world but I'm not sure.  Regards tree nuts the pecan
>and Brazil nut are new world IIRC but can anyone name others?   I think that
>"wild rice" is new world and I recall one other grain as well, just can't
>seem to recall its name.  Certain shell fish, abalone for one, might be
>suspect as well?  Maple syrup is new world, yes?  Certain fish, catfish
>perhaps, are suspect also?  Regarding fowl the turkey has been already named
>as being late 16th century but are there any others such as perhaps quail?

Avocado is definitely New World as it originates in Central America.

Brazil nuts are from the Amazon basin.

Pecans I think are from the Southern U.S., but I am not certain about that.

There are maple species native to Asia and Europe but none of those
(to my knowledge) is used for syrup/sugar production. Only the Sugar
Maple native to New England is used in that regard as far as I know.

Wild rice (a grass seed actually) is definitely New World, it comes
from the northern U.S. Midwest area. And served as a staple crop of a
number of Native American tribes.

Quinoa is a "grain " from the Andes Mountains. This was one of the
two main staples (with potatoes) of the Inca.

There are catfish species all over the world, they are not exclusive
to the New World by any stretch.

Abalone exist in the Western Pacific, so while they may not be
European, they were known by the peoples of Asia.

Certain species of clams and other bivalves are specific to the
Americas but there are clams and mussels and scallops all over the
world. Same thing with shrimp and lobster and crab.

Some quail species are native to Asia.

Dragon