[Sca-cooks] Tree Saps: Was New World Food

snow flake snowflake_im at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 26 10:24:33 PDT 2008

Well there is the difference I suppose.  I don't think we have to have it in the written word or a painting to believe that someone, somewhere, given the tools, and skills of the time, wouldn't have tried it.

There are hundreds of thousands of things we do everyday that aren't written down in a book, or a picture painted of.  It doesn't mean it didn't happen, only means that no one bothered to record it.

I think that this documentation is good for base, it gives us what tools, processes, techniques, and goods were generally available, but I don't think I need limit myself to only those dishes we have recipes for, or only those techniques dipicted in paintins and tapestries.

If I'm using the same tools, etc, and stumble across mixing two things never mentioned as mixed, or cook something using a different process that was available then, I don't feel it's less period because I can't document this very dish.

We know people played with recipes and techniques even back then.  Look at the variations of 'documented' recipes for Blancmanger.  I agree we need to be as period as we can, but don't think we should leave out creativity for the sake of documentation.

Eira
A decided newbie to the SCA cooking