[Sca-cooks] on the rising cost of food OOP

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 26 15:31:40 PDT 2008

Admanatius wants to know what I find about the article that is biased.  I sent along the link because the 70% increase in food costs (nation wide) has altered or will alter the way we do feast.  The topic has been making rounds on this list recently.

pretty much everything I have ever read from "Slate" is negetive or inflamitory, and is designed to get a rise out of someone.  As example:

Finally, there's a political element to the food press' shyness about pricing—most of us followers of the food revolution believe that industrially produced cheap food is not actually cheap. It might not cost much at the checkout line, but it hides a raft of government food subsidies and externalities like pesticide and methane pollution, not to mention the inhumane mass production of animals. So it can be hard to get to the bottom of the bottom dollar.

the above quote from the article strikes out at pretty much everything ... federal subsidies, pestacide use, "inhumane mass production of animals" ... etc.

Still, I like agree with several points made. I own a few of the books listed for 'frugal' food preparation.  I am definitely going to look into "How to Cook a Wolf" and see what it has to offer.

Cheers

Malkin
Otherhill
ArtemisiaJo (Georgia L.) Foster Never knock on Death's door. Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.