[Sca-cooks] Birch Tree recipes was Tree Saps: Was New World Food

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Apr 26 19:46:51 PDT 2008

There is of course a recipe for Birch Wine that starts out by tapping
birch trees
in the Tudor Jacobean manuscript A Booke of Sweetmeats as published
in Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery, edited by Karen Hess.
See recipe S257 To Make Birch Wine.
(It turns up quite frequently and is even mentioned as being a product
of Scotland in Mason and Brown's
Traditional Foods of Britain. They even refer one to a recipe by John
Evelyn.)
I found that
Birch Wine is also mentioned in Vinetum Britannicum; Or, A Treatise of
Cider and Other Wines and Drinks ...
 By John Worlidge in the edition from 1691.
Also it's in Hannah Glasse The Art of Cookery and also in Raffald.

I turned up numerous records tonight in terms of mentions in Early
English printed books. Here are a few:

The 1692 Medicina practica, or, Practical physick  offers this recipe:

XXXIV. Brannerus de Calculo commends the fol|lowing Syrup as an
excel|lent Remedy, leaving no calculous Matter behind in the Kidnies, if
after Pur|ging, two Spoonfuls of it be taken at a time in the Mor|ning
Fasting: Take Juice of Speedwell one Pound, Juice of Ground Ivy six
Ounces, of Purslane three Ounces; mix, and make a Syrup with Ho|ney one
Pound and a half. Both Helmont and Faber com|mend the Liquor of the
Birch  -Tree, which we call  Birch   wine, as a Remedy that does not
only expel the Stone and Gravel, but also prevents the Bleeding thereof.

The 1675 The Accomplish'd lady's delight in preserving calls for birch
sap here:

36. To take away Spots and Freckles from the Face and Hands.

The Sap that issueth out of a Birch-Tree in great abundance, being
opened in March or April, and a Glass Receiver set under it to Receive
it: This cleanseth the Skin Excellently, and maketh it very clear, being
washed therewith. This Sap will dissolve Pearl, a Secret not known to many.

The 1616 Maison rustique, or The countrey farme that Gervase Markham
worked on says:

Birch tree yeeldeth twigs, which serue to make rods for the punishing of
theeues withall, as also to make baskets, little maunds, beesomes, and
couerings for earthen bottles. Of the stocke is made charcoale, seruing
for the melting of mettall: And of the rinde are made links to giue
light in the night season: for to such end doe country people vse them.
The iuice of the leaues mixt amongst the runnet of a Calfe, doth keepe
cheese from wormes and rottennesse. If you pierce the stock of the
 Birch-tree, there will come forth a water, which being drunke a long
time, is of power to breake the stone of the reines and bladder: being
taken in a gargarisme, it drieth the vlcers of the mouth: and being vsed
in lotions, it cleanseth and taketh away the filthinesse and infections
of the skin. Page 661

This  work of course is based on the  work of the French author
Estienne, Charles, [1504-ca. 1564] so it dates from before 1564.

Hope this helps

Johnnae

Elise Fleming asked: