[Sca-cooks] Teaching in the SCA

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Apr 27 06:03:21 PDT 2008

> My husband and I are new to the SCA but he does
>woodworking so he is teaching a beginning wood turning class on making
>spindles.

The SCA is about sharing what you know, to others who have never tried it before.  As long as you know the basics, you can give them to someone else.  Teaching for the first time is always a bit worrying, but just take things step by step.  Not everyone he teaches will take it up, but it gives people a taste of what it is like.

But I wouldn't say that everyone uses power tools.  I know several people that use a pole lathe, mostly for demos. At some point your husband might want to try one, just to find the differences (The piece turns back and forth, instead of continually).  At the very least a little bit of info about it could be a good thing for the class.  (We are going to do it this way, but in period they would have done it like that).

Its like using a mortar and pestle to make marzipan, to see what its like, even if you use a food processor to make large amounts for feast.  (Obligatory Food content).

Ranvaig