[Sca-cooks] Chuck vs Bottom Round

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 22:40:08 PDT 2008

Serena answered a question and gave her recipe:
<<<
>  Cubes or multi-serving, roast-like chunks?

I am cooking in 4 lb roasts (just like the recipe says). It is a beef
roast recipe translated from Scapp by Helewyse. Here is my
interpretation of the recipe:

Single Recipe, serves 12:
4 lbs	Chuck Roast
2 t	Salt
2 t	Fennel, Ground
1 t	Pepper, Ground
1 clove	Garlic, Chopped
1 stick	Rosemary
3	Onions, Sliced
3/4 C	Grape Juice
2 T	Vinegar, Red Wine

  Or possibly I will have the servers carve it at the table. >>>

That sounds like the hardest point of the whole, fancy serving
routine. Well, possibly other than finding 1/3 of the hall who want
to be servers. Just in case it might help, there is this file in the
Florilegium FEAST section:
meat-carving-bib   (9K)  4/ 5/01    Biblio. on meat carving by Thomas
Gloning.

What did you use/are you going to use for "Grape Juice"? Concord
grape juice isn't going to do, either flavor and origin-wise. Non-
alcoholic wines are generally horrible and neither they or wine are
going to taste like grape juice. Have you found some non-fermented
grape juice from the right grapes?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas