[Sca-cooks] Trying to identify some kitchen items

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 29 23:47:00 PDT 2008

> something I didn't recognize: several items that could only
> be described as de-barked twigs, about five inches long, a
> little over 1/16" in diameter, and tapered at one end, the
> tapered end being warped or even curled a bit.  She had them
> sorted and tied in bundles of a dozen each, and were in the
> tray with her serving spoons.  Does anyone know what they are?
>
> In servicio,
> Talana

Perhaps reused / reusable skewers for said smorgasbord use, or perhaps
an alternative to fondue forks?  You say "de-barked twigs" -- could you
make out wood grain, see knobs/knots, or see a cross-section of the
non-tapered ends that led you to that conclusion, OR did they just not
appear to be like the typical "bamboo skewer" I carry with me in the SCA
gear for multiple uses...

Were they stored in with more obvious cooking, instead of serving,
implements, I'd think them possibly lacing skewers or something of that
nature.

With the recent discussion here on sca-cooks, is it possible that these
would serve to turn the yummies cooking in an aebelskiver pan?

(If I understand your description, these appear to have been tied
together for storage, not "permanently" bound together as would be my
expectation for a whisk such as another person has suggested.  If the
bundles WERE more permanently formed, I'd be curious as to why there
were "several" in this size/type instead of only one or two.)

Some semi-random thoughts...

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MikeCBaker at verizon.net
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
http://wizardsdenblogedition.blogspot.com/