[Sca-cooks] Salt fish recipes?-- I.E. SALTED (preserved) fish

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Apr 30 21:10:57 PDT 2008

>I think we could be sort of wagging the dog here... I had always heard
>it said that aioli was so named for its garlic component.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/aioli
[Provençal : ai, garlic (from Latin allium) + oli, oil (from Latin oleum; see oil).]

Garlic and salt are pounded in a mortar, then olive oil added slowly to make an emulsion.  Modern recipes have egg yolk, mustard and lemon juice, but I've read that the original was only garlic, salt and oil.

Ranvaig